Fourth of July means family, fireworks, and some good ol’ barbecuing! It also means pesky mosquitos and flies that want to join in on your fun as well. I know what you’re thinking, “but those citronella candles are SO boring”. I know. I have your back. That’s why I’ve created my own festive citronella candles to match the patriotic decor! The project takes about a day to complete, but while you’re cooking up some grub, use a side burner for candle wax and make your own candles!
Before we start, just a quick disclaimer. No one is perfect here, so rather than throwing out the candles I messed up on, I decided to feature them. Larger jars will require longer dry times for each layer of wax. If you don’t wait long enough (like I did), your white wax will blend with the color below it. Just keep that in mind while you’re cooking up your own batch of candles.
Assorted Mason Jars
Pencils or Skewers
1 Large Pot
1 Medium Pot
1. Use a hot glue gun to attach the wick to the bottom of the mason jar.
2. Using your skewers or pencils, wrap the excess wick around the stick and pull tightly to hold the wick in place for pouring.
3. Set up your double boiler – fill the large pot with water and place the medium sized pot inside.
4. Pour the wax into the medium sized pot.
5. Once melted, add 1/3 of your citronella oil to the melted wax (I couldn’t find citronella oil in the craft store, so I had to order mine online).
6. Transfer the wax into a measuring cup and pour into the jar. Be careful not to get it onto the sides of the jar!
7. Let cool for about an hour (here’s that disclaimer again: I clearly did not wait long enough for the larger mason jars to cool and therefore the white wax blended with the blue wax to form the light blue stripe on the larger candles).
8. Repeat steps 3-7 with the other colors of wax.
9. Once solid, trim the wicks.
10. Fire up the BBQ, throw on those burgers, and get cookin’ outside with your new citronella candles!
Next time I’ll be seeing all of you is after July 4th! I’m heading out to the Alaskan frontier for vacation! I hope that you all have a wonderful holiday weekend and a crafty couple of weeks. I’ll be posting all about my trip and Alaskan culture once I return!
In the meantime, I’m hosting a giveaway on Instagram! Make sure you enter to win a free sign by following @diyhuntress!
Also, fun news! Redfin has featured me as one of their Bloggers they Adore! Please check out my interview with them on their website (https://www.redfin.com/blog/2015/06/designers-we-adore-our-conversation-with-diy-huntress-2.html#.VYrchvlVhBc)!