I love my small studio apartment, but living in a small space means that we don’t have many options for displaying our keepsakes, especially during holiday season! So, I was so excited when my friends at The Home Depot asked me to design a holiday inspired shelf for their winter DIY Workshop! For this project, I decided to keep things bohemian and simple with a triangle shaped keepsake shelf! Best part, you can make one on your own at your local Home Depot’s FREE DIY Workshop (you can sign up here to secure your spot)!
Minimalistic living means limited storage options and simply stated decoration. So, when the Home Depot challenged me to make a version of their Christmas Tree Shelf, I came up with something that can display my keepsakes year-round! Here’s their version:
… and here’s mine!
Want to see how easy this was to make? Check it out!
*Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. For my full disclosure policy, click here.
What You’ll Need:
(1) 1 x 4 x 6′
1″ Brad Nails
Picture Hanging Hook
1. Start by cutting your first piece. You will set your miter saw to a 30 degree angle for this cut.
2. Flip your board around to create another 30 degree cut, but this time on the opposite end of the board. You want your cuts to be in the same direction on both sides of the board.
3. Repeat this two more times. You will have three 20″ long boards with 30 degree cuts on each end when you are done.
4. Once your pieces are cut, use wood glue and brad nails to attach the boards. Make sure to match everything up so that you make a perfect triangle.
5. Once you have a full triangle, measure your shelf. You will cut the angles for your shelf at 30 degrees as well (how easy is that!).
6. Attach your shelf with wood glue and brad nails.
7. Sand down your piece to prep for staining.
8. Next, stain your shelf.
9. Once your shelf is dry, add a hook to the back for hanging.
Now hang your shelf and display your favorite keepsakes!
What I love about this project is that although I made it for holiday season, I can display my favorite items all year long! The bohemian and simple stated shelf can stay up all year round and I can update it with my favorite items as the seasons change!
What do you think? Love this shelf enough to make it? If so, don’t miss out on the chance to make one at a free Home Depot DIY Workshop! You can sign up here: https://thd.co/2zxI5I3
Also, if you’ve already attended a workshop before, make sure to take Home Depot’s Workshop Survey! Your experience and response helps The Home Depot make the improvements you want to see.
Want to hang on to this design for later? No sweat! Just remember to Pin It!
Want to see some other versions of this project? Check out my talented friends’ versions below!
The Turquoise Home
Inspiration for Moms
Shades of Blue Interiors
A Pumpkin and a Princess
The Creative Mom
Make It Love It
My Repurposed Life
In the meantime, I hope everyone has an amazing holiday season!
* This blog post is brought to you by The Home Depot. All design ideas and opinions are my own. You can click here for my full sponsorship disclosure policy.