Football season is here! That means beers, food, and weekly hangouts with your really competitive friends! It also means you’ll probably be in charge of housing one of the games this season, so you’ll need some awesome serving platters. Don’t worry, I got you covered with a pretty cool DIY project. Also, I created a fun football field printable for you to stencil for your very own project! Create these game-day platters on your day off! In fact, your friends might be so busy staring at your awesome handmade platters, that they may even miss the game!
DIY Football Trays for Superbowl
Here’s the game plan…
What You’ll Need:
Drill & Bits
Stain & Sealer
Paint & Sealer
Brushes & Rags
(for painting and sealing)
1. Create your outlines for your trays by printing out shapes and designs you like. Trace these shapes onto your wooden boards.
2. Once traced, use your bandsaw or jigsaw to cut out the designs.
3. Next, sand down any and all rough edges as well as the tops and bottoms of the wood to prep for painting.
4. Once sanded, begin painting. For the football I used this AMAZING product from Real Milk Paint called Burnishing Paste. It only takes a coat or two of the cream-based stain/sealer and it completely seals the wood… no, seriously… it does. In fact, I washed my platter directly after the sealer dried and it was good as new! Guys, I’m seriously obsessed with this product…
For the football field platter, I painted the board in Real Milk Paint’s Peacock Chalk Paint for a rustic feel. Once dry, I then applied Clear Burnishing Paste to the board to seal it in for washing purposes.
Ps… their paint comes in these adorable small packages so that you only mix what you need.
5. Once dry, add small details to the trays such as football laces and an entire field. Looking for the perfect field design? I got you covered with this printable I made! Just resize it to fit your own board!
6. Once everything is dry, measure where you would like your knobs or handles to go and use a drill bit to create holes for easier application.
7. Final touch! Add your knobs.
I love projects like these because my family and friends get to enjoy them as much as I do. Plus, as always, it’s super cool to be like, “I made these… No big.” I mean.. if my friends can brag about their favorite teams, I totally get DIY bragging rights! Looking for some more fun game day projects? Be sure to check out Ryobi Nation for creative ideas!
Want to save this project for next year’s Super Bowl? Make sure to Pin It for later!
Thanks so much for checking out my new project! I hope you’ll keep tagging your DIY projects to #diyhunted. I love seeing what everyone is working on! Until next time…