Happy New Year, friends! It’s been a while! I fell ill with the flu for a bit, but I am back in action with a room makeover! As much as I wish I could say “new year, new project”, this is a project I started back in the summer with my dad when we were making over the basement. But, I finally got around to transforming a misused cold storage room into a workout room/pain cave for my other half’s cycling training! Even cooler, I partnered with DAP Products to make it happen and to share some tips for maximizing small spaces in your home!
DIY Home Workout Room
Want to see this project in action? Check it out on YouTube!
My other half is an avid and amazing cyclist, which means he trains year-round. So, to help with his winter training schedule, I transformed a crowded storage room into a DIY home workout space for his bicycle trainer.
Here’s what the room looked like before…
… and this is what it looks like now!
Okay, one more…
Ready to see how I made this transformation happen? Let’s do this!
What You’ll Need:
DAP DryDex Spackling
DAP Alex Flex Premium Moulding & Trim Sealant
BEHR Eggshell Wall Paint (Melting Icicles)
1. My dad and I insulated and drywalled this room when we were working in the basement over the summer, so my first step when I got around to working on the room again was to sand all of the drywall.
2. After sanding the drywall and doing some cleanup, it was time to prime and then paint the walls.
3. Next, I worked to hang some floating cabinetry in the back of the room. It made it really helpful to have a Self Leveling Cross Line Laser for this project, because I was able to hang it perfectly level.
4. Next, it was time to work on the other side of the room, and I worked to first install floating shelving brackets.
I then custom cut some channels into the backs of the shelves to help organize some of the wires before trimming them and installing them into the brackets.
5. Next, I organized the wires in the room with peel and stick channels.
6. Throughout the renovation, I banged and dinged up the freshly painted walls a lot. So, in order to fix my mistakes, I used DAP DryDex Spackling to fill in the holes.
First, I used a putty knife to apply the spackle to the holes. I love that it goes on pink, but dries white (so you don’t sand too early).
7. Next, I sanded the drywall and then touched up the wall paint.
8. Once the drywall was fixed and freshened up, it was time to cut and install the base trim and door moulding.
9. After installing the trim, it was time to caulk and seal the gaps in the trim. My go-to is DAP Alex Flex Premium Moulding & Trim Sealant, and I applied it using a caulking gun. I then used my finger to smooth out the caulking bead.
10. Last step was to prep the room for winter training!
In case you forgot, here’s the before…
… and here’s the after!
My other half is super stoked on the space and already started training in it!
I hope this project inspired some ideas for how you can transform your cluttered storage spaces (even if you don’t want turn it into a workout room)!
Want to save this project for later? Make sure to Pin It!
Until next time, friends!