Each year I take some time to partner up with a brand for an amazing cause, and this year is no different! This year I’m partnering up with HANDy Paint Products to spread the word about their Washer Tournament with a DIY Washer Yard Game Project. At this tournament, 100% of the entry/spectator fees and donations will be donated to the AAV Gene Therapy Project for Alternating Hemiplegia Of Childhood Foundation. Even cooler, HANDy Paint Products will also matching all donations dollar for dollar!
DIY Washer Yard Game
HANDy Paint Pail’s Washer Tournament comes at a great time, since the end of the summer (and end of summer celebrations) is in full swing! So, on top of helping a great cause, you can create a fun DIY Washer Yard Game in an afternoon for your next hangout!
Want to skip the tutorial and just help a good cause? You can learn more about the AAV Gene Therapy Project for Alternating Hemiplegia Of Childhood Foundation by visiting their website.
The tournament is on September 7th, so if you want to donate, you can find out how to do so here and HANDy Paint Products will match all donations!
Want to learn how to make HANDy Paint Products’ version of the washer game? Here’s how!
What You’ll Need:
Miter Saw (or Circular Saw)
Circular Saw (or Table Saw)
(2) 1 x 4 x 8′ Board
(1) ½ Sheet of ½” Plywood
(2) HANDy Paint Pail
1″ Brad Nails
5 Minute Epoxy
(8) 2″ Flat Washers
1. Cut your 1×4 boards into eight 18 ½” long pieces.
2. Attach four of your pieces together to create two boxes. Use wood glue and brad nails.
3. Next, cut your plywood into two 20 x 20″ squares.
4. Attach your plywood to the bottom of your boxes using wood glue and brad nails.
5. Last step is to attach your HANDy Paint Pail to the center of the boxes using 5 minute epoxy and applying pressure until they dry to the plywood.
6. Optional: Paint your washers two different colors (one for each team)!
That’s it! A fun and easy project to bust out at your end-of-summer celebration! Want the rules?
DIY Washer Yard Game Rules:
1. Teammates stand on opposite ends of the field, near their own boxes.
2. Each team tosses 4 washers per turn.
3. Whichever team scored on the last turn goes first.
4. Players alternate tossing washers, do not remove any washers from box/pail/magnet/rim until all have been tossed.
5. Each game is played to 21 points without going over (if a team goes over 21, the turn is immediately over and that team’s score drops to 13 and the other team keeps the same score they had
when the turn began). The team that went over 21 goes first on the
There are four ways to score points:
Inside the Wooden Box: 1 point
Inside the HANDy Paint Pail: 3 points
Stuck to the Magnet: 5 points
Sitting on rim of Wooden Box: 5 points
The game is played with Net Scoring. After each turn, all points for both teams are added up and the team with the higher score earns the difference in the two scores.
This project was seriously so easy to make, and I can’t wait to use it at our next BBQ!
Want to save this project and the details about the Washer Tournament? Make sure to Pin It!
Until next time, friends… happy DIY’ing!