If you follow along on Instagram, you’ll know that I’m currently making over my parents’ bedroom! They have been working super hard over the past few years making their house feel like a home, but haven’t tackled their bedroom yet. So, this year for Father’s Day & Mother’s Day I gifted my parents their very own bedroom makeover! Now, I’ll be tackling all of the details on this bedroom makeover in a separate reveal post, but for now I want to spend some time focusing on the major centerpiece of this project – the DIY board And batten accent wall!
How To Make A DIY Board And Batten Wall
Want to see this project in action? Check it out on YouTube & be sure to subscribe to my channel!
So, I’ll be covering all of the gritty details about style, design, and the full bedroom transformation in a separate post, but this DIY board And batten accent wall (or, the “wall with the squares”, as my mom call is) was a project-and-a-half and is more than deserving of it’s own post, so here we go!
P.S. Here is the before!
What I Used:
Paint Sprayer (Optional)
* Board feet will be different for each project – make sure to measure your particular project before building!
1. First step was to layout my design. This can be done in SketchUp, or with basic math, or with painter’s tape! We pulled a lot of inspiration from the how-to and design section on The Home Depot App for this one!
2. Next, I cut and attached my boards with brad nails. I started with the outer boarder pieces and then moved to the verticals. To help find the angles I needed for my vaulted ceilings I used an angle finder (you can see this in action in my YouTube video).
3. Once the vertical pieces were attached, I cut and attached the horizontal pieces. I used spacer blocks here from leftover lumber to make sure that everything was even!
4. Next, I sealed all of the edges of my boards with caulking. I also made sure to fill in the nail holes as well!
5. After letting everything dry, I taped off my walls and sprayed the accent wall with my paint. Luckily, The Home Depot App was able to tell me exactly how much paint I needed for this wall!
6. Shortly after painting, I removed the coverings… and that was it!
Here’s what it looked like before…
… and here’s what it looks like now!
Want to save this post for later? Make sure to Pin It!
In the meantime, I hope you’ll stop by soon for the full bedroom reveal!